UK Registered Charity 1122246 This website would not be possible without the kind help of Tony Martin of the “AV Martin Charitable Foundation”

Lor Fogler – Mr Beebs

Mr Beebs had a torn ACL. I had heard that this new procedure called a TPLO would be a permanent solution to our problems. Expensive but nothing was too much for my Mr Beebs.I decided to meet with the surgeon who explained the procedure but never mentioned any complications that might ensue. It sounded wonderful. We went in on 06/06/06. I should have known it would turn out bad. They kept Beebs in there for several days and finally I was able to take him home to recoup and get that back leg working well again. He had to be leashed walked everywhere…and I mean everywhere including inside the house for 8 weeks. About ten days into this I noticed a serum oozing out of his incision. It was hot to the touch and the dog was lethargic and moody. I looked closer and a track opened up in that incision sight and reddish brown smelly serum came flowing out of it. I took him quickly back to the surgeon. He said it was the tissue rubbing against the metal plate and that was normal and nothing to be alarmed about. The next week the oozing got even more foul smelling. One week before I was too leave the dog was prostrate on the ground, unable to stand and had the glazed look of pain in his eyes. I was hysterical. I called the surgeon once again. It was no use his return call never came. I asked a vet tech friend of mine to come over. She took one look and said he is suffering get him to the emergency hospital now. Mr Beebs was in the week before the surgeon had ordered a culture and sensitively report. I don’t think he ever read it because he kept us on a treatment program that was useless in the face of the results. We kept on the anti biotic’s he had prescribed although they didn’t seem to be doing any good at all. Finally. I called my regular vet who was deeply concerned and took the dog into the hospital where he was sedated and a deep culture taken. What came back changed our world. It was enterobacter cloacae. It was resistant to just about everything .The vet called the lab back and begged them to give me some hope…after all there must be something that can kill it. I had to inject his muscle with a 25 gauge needle which horrified me. It was an inch and a half long and tapered and thick time. What if I did it wrong? I thought. 4 months later and I was now finding it harder and harder to even find a muscle not so calcified that I could penetrate it with a needle. I had to look for other places near his neck, on his rump. I was studying anatomy charts to make sure I knew where it was safest. I couldn’t bring him to the vet’s office 3 times a day…I had to do it myself. The drug cost me $800.00 per ten days of use. After about 2 solid weeks of injections ….The wound started closing I was so happy…we were killing it! But….as soon as the injections stopped (with in 5 days) the track in his incision opened up and globs of thick smelly pus oozed out of his leg. I then was told by my vet to take a needle nose syringe fill it with an antiseptic solution and every 4 hours blast it up into the track and flush the debris from the leg. It was a horrendous job and the stuff was flying everywhere. Because Scar tissue had formed at the site and the plate and screws were the best hiding place a bacteria could ever ask for. I had no idea the nightmare I had stepped into. There was never any hope of saving that leg. I know that now. The plate broke 6 months after it was put in. A week before Christmas 2006, 2 screws broke off into the bone and were never able to be removed. The leg was in shambles and so was I. Mr Beebs has had 13 surgeries …none of which did much good at all. The bacteria had colonized in the screw holes and there was no blood supply to the bone so they continued to wreak havoc on the leg. It was eating its way through his leg. My last ditch attempt came back in May of 2007. I drove for 2 days to the University of Georgia to meet the team who were doing beading implants for super bugs and osteomilistus. The surgeon had placed a hybrid fixator on his leg which held the bone together by big bolts that went right through his leg. I had to clean around the bolts and screws every single day 3 times a day to keep more infection from getting into the holes. I had to pad the sharp edges that were pointed enough to rip upholstery and clothing on contact. If it hit his skin it would rip into it. I had bolts of cotton I stuffed in there to protect him. I had cotton swabs full of antiseptic I would swirl around the open holes in his flesh and bones. The drug that they had implanted was so powerful that the only way you can use it is with permission from the CDC (Center for disease control). After ten days the beads were removed and beads made of imipenam cilastastin were implanted. I stopped all the shots and held my breath a year plus has passed and I was $50,000. out in expenses and no closer to salvation. With in five days the incision opened up and began to drain. I knew I had lost. The battle was over. I had done all science could offer and I could not kill the bacteria and save his leg. I finally gave permission to amputate. I saw Mr Beebs walking away into the hospital to have his leg that had only had a torn ligament cut away from him forever. I had brought Mr Beebs in to help him but instead had brought so much suffering into his life. Today he has 3 legs and I’d like to say it’s been just terrific but that would be a lie. He wobbles and falls and I carry him everywhere. Up and down stairs in the truck. Massage him, give him injections. I have done everything I can and it seems my best isn’t good enough. The moral of the story ASK QUESTIONS TO YOUR VET. The Bella Moss Foundation is a place for pet owners to find support and advice about infections in animals – take this information and challenge your vets.

Corporate Supporters

Educational Partners

Media Supporters